Presented by OttawaKitchen.ca, Just Food and North House Foods in partnership with Agri-Food Management Institute (AMI) with guest expert chefs and food businesses
- Introduction to food production and production equipment.
- Introduction to the regulatory environment for successful food processing businesses.
- Validation and testing of your food products.
- Information to help turn your idea into a business plan.
March 24 – Production (Ottawa Kitchen: 1169 Parisien Street) – 9-3:30
- Understanding a Commercial Kitchen
- Introduction to Commercial Food Grade Equipment at Ottawa Kitchen
- Food facility safety protocols
- Food Safety – what’s expected in a kitchen
- What is HACCP/ MSDS/GSFI and why is this important/ understanding recalls
- Record-keeping requirements
- Sourcing raw materials, costing
- Understand shelf life/ HPP/ MAP/pH Levels/stabilizers
April 7 – Product Development (Ottawa Kitchen: 1169 Parisien Street) 9-3:30
- Understanding testing and scaling up processes
- Small Test Batch
- Product Review and Feedback
- Retesting & Scaling Up
- Food (Product) Costing
- Introduction to manufacturing processes and how to build your own process
- Managing your time and margins in the kitchen
April 14 – Marketing & Pricing (Just Food Farm: 2391 Pepin Court) Full Day – 9-3:30
- Product Design, Labeling and Packaging
- Bulk Packing / Individual Packing/ Case Size
- Packing Material for all products
- Understanding & Developing Product Prices
- Knowing your Market – Defining the market
- Brand development – Emphasis on Social Media and Online Management
- Classical Sales Theory, Pounding the Pavement
- Growing and Managing a Client Base and Client Relationship Management
- How to deal with Consumer Complaints & Returns
- Client Payment and Terms
April 21 – Packaging/Distribution/ Co-Packing/ Brokerage (Just Food Farm: 2391 Pepin Court) 9-3:30
- Understanding and setting up a partnership
- Brokering, Co-Packing
- Understanding Retail environment
- Distribution and Food Safety – Controlled Environment
- Understanding launch processes
- Next steps in your Food Business Development
Delivered by Delia Elkin, an experienced inspector for many certification agencies in the region, the workshop will provide a clear overview of the Canadian Organic Standards, Permitted Substance Uses, and overall requirements farms need to have in place to achieve and maintain organic certification. Please bring any specific questions you have about inputs, required documentation, etc. as these can all be answered.
This workshop is appropriate for all growers interested in what organic certification means—whether you are a new grower starting up, a conventional farmer considering a transition for all or part of your operation, or an established grower using organic practices.
The Big Red Barn Series: Potluck Natural Pest Control Workshop
Join us for an evening at the Big Red Barn at the Just Food Farm! Bring a dish and join us for potluck from 6:00 - 7:30 and the workshop from 7:30 - 9:00!
Join us at Just Food's 15th Anniversary Celebration with free activities for the whole Family.
Fix your broken or torn items at the Ottawa Tool Library Repair Café
Join us for an all level outdoor yoga class
Help plant in our 1/4 acre Donate-a-row Garden, with all produce harvested going to the Gloucester Emergency Food Cupboard.
Take an educational ride around the Just Food Farm on our Wagon Ride Tours
+ More Activities for both kids and adults
Bring a picnic lunch and enjoy a day on the farm!