For Restaurants, Food Processors and Farms on How to Incorporate Fermentation into Your Business
This fermentation training will focus on non-alcohol, fermentation and its potential for incorporating into your existing food/farm business.
When: Two Saturdays, November 30 & December 7, 2019, @ 10:00 am – 3:30 pm
Where: Just Food Farm (2391 Pepin Court, Ottawa - Bus #25 and free parking)
Cost: $110 + HST
To ask questions, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lacto-fermentation such as making kimchi and tabasco style hot sauce
- Fermenting beans and peas for making miso and tempeh
- Grain fermentation varieties, including no-sweetener-added desserts such as sweet rice ferment or jiuniang, and using grains in vegetable lacto-fermentation
- Dairy ferment such as kefir
- Fermented drinks using SCOBY (Symbiotic Culture Of Bacteria and Yeast) or the likes, such as kombucha and ginger soda
- History and background on fermentation
- Health perspectives and science - connection of fermented food and human microflora/microbiome
- Kitchen setup, equipment and specialty utensils
- Food safety and regulatory framework
- Worldwide applications and innovations in using fermentation in farms and food businesses
- Canadian market and potential
- Tasting and demonstrations
The goal of the workshops is to inspire local farm and food businesses to innovate - by using the ancient art of fermentation to transform local and fresh produce into new products and ingredients that taste great, are good for health, and contribute to stronger businesses in this region.
Presented by Chi Garden, with additional guest fermentation business.
The trainers - Sun Shan and Li Bo of Chi Garden - both grew up with rich family traditions for making fermentation. Equipped with education in biology and biomedical research, being world travelers and now farmers in Canada, plus years of practice making various ferments and bringing fermented vegetables to the farm market in Ontario, the trainers will deliver an interactive training to inform and inspire a new generation of fermentation practitioners and businesses.
Interested in fermentation training for your home?
This training is designed for local food businesses, including restaurants, processors and farms only. We will offer hands-on training geared towards eaters and home chefs later in the season. Please send us a message at email@example.com if you are interested, and we will contact you directly when the courses are coming out.
2391 Pepin Ct
Ottawa, ON K1B4Z3
Google map and directions